1930's Morgan & Sons (Drapers of Cardiff) 7 Drawer Oak Haberdashery Set of Drawers **SOLD**
Quite possibly THE finest Haberdashery drawers you will come across. Comprising of seven drawers and a hinged top (hugely useful as it has a depth of 17cms). The drawers have been specifically chosen with quarter sawn oak of the highest quality showing the pattern of medullary rays, seen as subtle wavy ribbon-like patterns. Quarter sawn oak is more expensive than the standard rip-cut method (sawing the tree length-ways). The dramatic rays that appear in quarter-sawn wood lend themselves perfectly to pieces of distinction.
The dovetail joints in both the front and back of each drawer is a joy and the back of the plan chest shows just how well made this 80+ year old chap is. The 14 solid brass handles are worth £150 alone and all in all it is a truly magnificent piece, one of which you will never see again. The drawers were bought in Cardiff and a plaque was found inside indicating that they were made by the firm first established by David Morgan; Morgans Drapers company. Morgans were highly thought of in Cardiff in the mid 19th century: placed, at the time, on par with Liberty's of London, but set in the heart of Cardiff... Anyway, this is what I found on the internet...
Administrative and biographical history: The firm was established by David Morgan (1833-1919). Morgan opened his first draper's shops in Cwm Siôn Mathew Square at Rhymney (closed in 1871) and Pontlottyn, Glamorgan, in 1858, and at Abertillery ('The Pontlottyn Shop'), co. Monmouth, 1870 (sold in 1922). His shop David Morgan & Co, in The Hayes, Cardiff opened in 1879, catering mainly for the drapery trade. He opened a second shop in St Mary St in 1898 accessible from The Hayes by way of the Morgan Arcade (initially called the New Central Arcade, begun in 1896, completed 1899), which ran parallel to the Royal Arcade. The business extended into the furniture trade under the direction of David Morgan's son John Llewellyn Morgan (1869-1941) from 1912 and into other merchandise under John's eldest son David Bernard Morgan (1899-1955) and his successors. The company was incorporated as David Morgan Ltd in 1916. The Cardiff Arcade Co was established in 1868 for the purpose of erecting an arcade - the Royal Arcade - to connect The Hayes and St Mary Street. David Morgan became a director of The Cardiff Arcade Co in 1892, and other members of the Morgan family later became major shareholders of the company. David Morgan Ltd. obtained a controlling interest in 1960. David Morgan Ltd closed in 2005.
Height 107cm, Length 94cm and Depth 75cm.
Each drawer is: 83cm in length and 67cm in depth. Each drawer is 10cm in height.